Let’s make 2018 the year of the nonprofit.
This year, go out of your way to help a local nonprofit. Volunteer Center McHenry County can get you started. We can connect you to volunteer for needs such as:
• The Center for Economic Progress and the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program are looking for people to help with tax preparation.
• The McHenry County Historical Society needs writers and researchers, bus drivers and more.
• The McHenry County Board is looking to fill seats on the Senior Grant Commission, Board of Health, Ethics Commission and more.
• The McHenry County Conservation District is looking for Safety Watch Education and Environmental Program volunteers to help provide safety on its paths.
• Agencies are looking for people to help with graphics, advocacy, animal fosters, Special Olympics volunteers – the list goes on.
If your school, corporation or business group/team is looking for a way to help the community, the Volunteer Center can match you with an agency and service project to help you meet your goals.
How about joining a network group or training? Anyone wanting to strengthen the nonprofit community is invited.
• • •
On Jan. 18, Volunteer Managers Network will present “Don’t Go It Alone!” Invest in yourself by connecting with a network of resourceful McHenry County volunteer managers. Share your skills, ask questions, give advice and find new ideas.
On Jan. 24, a Global Leadership Summit Conversation Brown Bag network group event will take place. Bring your lunch and business cards and join in the conversation to build relationships and collaborations to grow a healthy community.
On video each month will be a speaker from the 2016 or 2017 Global Leadership Summit. The January video is “The Ideal Team Player” with Patrick Lencioni.
Every first Friday of the month, attend “Introduction to Finding Grants” and learn to use The Foundation Center online directory and grant space. This will be a small group training session. Space is limited to four.
• Rebecca Stiemke is the executive director of Volunteer Center McHenry County. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-344-4483.