UNION – Following a multi-year restoration effort, the McHenry County Historical Society & Museum is in the final stages of adopting a detailed plan to complete restoration of its 150-year-old Pringle School.
Toward that end, the museum hired a consultant, Beth Baranski of Baranski Hammer Moretta & Sheehy Architects & Planners in Galena, to help identify and prioritize what needs to be done moving forward. She will present her findings from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Jan. 18 at the museum, located at 6422 Main St. in Union.
Former students, society members and other stakeholders, as well as interested members of the general public, are invited to attend and provide input.
Located just west of Route 23, at 21596 River Road in Marengo, Pringle School was built in 1867 from limestone quarried at Garden Prairie and transported by wagon to land donated by the Patterson Pringles. It is one of four one-room schools built along a trail that was to become River Road and the third building in that district.
Pringle School operated until 1947 as an independent district, and then until 1951 as part of Hawthorn School District 17. The McHenry County Historical Society acquired Pringle School from the DiBona family of Marengo in November 2002.
Donations and volunteer efforts are being utilized to restore and preserve the building, as well as include it on the National Register of Historic Places.
For information visit www.gothistory.org.