We all strive to become better people. We exercise to become fit, read to challenge our minds, try new things to expand our horizons, find clothing and hairstyles that make us look better. Volunteering, caring for others and helping to create a healthier community also should be on the list.
If you are not sure where or how to get involved, Volunteer Center McHenry County is a great place to start. We can suggest volunteer placements based on your interests and passions. We can help you in person or over the phone, or you can search online at www.volunteercentermchenrycounty.org.
Some of the opportunities currently posted with the center include:
• Volunteers are needed to train, groom and work with miniature horses and take them on visits to hospitals, nursing homes and schools.
• Join a fun team of volunteers at a thrift store to help greet, sort, display and more.
• Give some love to a shelter dog – walkers are needed.
• Need a volunteer job that allows you to work from home? Individuals are needed to help with social media, graphics arts and newsletters.
• Help those in transition by cooking and serving food. Visit with homeless guests and more.
Nonprofit workshops to put on your calendar:
• Feb. 20: Facebook Content and Optimization Workshop
• March 2: First Friday Focus on finding grant funding
• March 6: What the Hashtag ... Instagram Marketing Workshop
• March 19: Meet the Media – Get the Word Out!
Register now for the April 22 McHenry County Human Race. The eighth annual 5K walk/run has more than 60 charities so far looking for your support. Each race participant designates which charity will receive the proceeds of their race fee. This year, 100 percent of the donations go to the participating organizations – so please consider donating.
Volunteer Center McHenry County is a capacity building organization for local nonprofits.
For information about our programs and how you can get involved, visit www.volunteercentermchenrycounty.org or call 815-344-4483. Our office and resource library with grant-seeking tools are located at 620 Dakota St., Crystal Lake.
• Rebecca Stiemke is the executive director of Volunteer Center McHenry County. Reach her at email@example.com or 815-344-4483.