To the Editor:
I’d like to recognize Mercyhealth’s more than 1,000 outstanding volunteers during National Healthcare Volunteer Week, April 15 to 21, for the selfless compassion they provide to our patients. They personify the spirit of community volunteerism through their generous donation of about 112,000 hours in 2017 alone to support a wide variety of Mercyhealth programs in McHenry County and throughout northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.
1. Provide a welcoming environment when patients and families walk through our hospital doors, and cheerfully escort them to where they need to go.
2. Offer comforting words, prayers and companionship to residents of the Mercyhealth Care Center.
3. Bring nutritious meals and bright smiles to our Meals On Wheels recipients.
4. Use their talents to provide warmth and comfort through handmade prayer shawls, stuffed animals, baby caps and other items for hospitalized patients.
5. Provide a relaxing environment for patients and visitors by maintaining our healing garden.
6. Lessen the worry of many through our Mercyhealth Safe Connect Personal Emergency Response System.
7. Put hundreds of hours into vital fundraisers such as the Harvard Love Light Tree.
Thank you, Mercyhealth volunteers. Your acts of kindness and love are not only appreciated by the Mercyhealth family, but also by the more than 2.1 million patients we serve each year. Your passion makes lives better every day!
Community members who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of others are welcome to share their time and talents with Mercyhealth. Learn more about volunteering by calling 888-396-3729 or visiting mercyhealthsystem.org/volunteers.
Javon R. Bea