To the Editor:
Economic and historic failures aside, the practice of socialism, or government ownership over the means of production, is immoral and involuntary and inhibits choice and individuality. The ends only can be accomplished through the means of excessive taxation and substantial coercion.
Here are the top five reasons to choose liberty over socialism in 2020:
1. Peace – While socialism is coercive and mandatory, free markets represent peace and liberty. It is cooperation at its core when two or more individuals engage in the voluntary exchange of resources such as goods, time, money, etc.
2. Unaffordable medical care – Health care prices rise because of government intervention in the markets. Since 1965, the portion of the U.S. gross domestic product spent on health care has risen from about 5% to 20%, an increase of about 400%. Government regulations have enabled insurance companies and Big Pharma to consistently increase prices and, subsequently, so have health care providers.
3. Unaffordable education – Since 1965, the federal government has spent $2 trillion on elementary and secondary education with little improvement in academic achievement (stagnant test scores) or high school graduation rates. And tuition now is unaffordable partly because of government intervention in the financing and loan markets, directly and through subsidized lending.
4. Choice – Human action is purposeful behavior. As individuals, we make thousands of small choices every day to steer our lives in the direction we see fit. This free will is our basic human right. Isn’t it great that we have so many brands and styles of shoes, clothes and accessories to express ourselves? A variety of food and drinks in stores and restaurants to satisfy all tastes and dietary restrictions? Selfie sticks, gaming computers, social media, computers that fit in our pockets, two-ply toilet paper, Kenny Powers, K-cups, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, adult onesies, wireless speakers and pet rocks, if we want them? The freedom to choose is sacrificed with central planning in a socialist system.
5. Human rights – As described above, socialism consequently infringes on a human’s right to his or her life, liberty and labor.
So with peace, choice and human rights in mind, choose liberty in 2020.