The Rusty Nail Saloon, 4520 W. Ringwood Road, reopened Friday after having a kitchen fire on Wednesday due to the stove being left on with two pots of butter sitting on top.
The fire went up through the hood above the stove and into the attic, causing some electrical damage. There also was a lot of smoke damage, Rusty Nail co-owner Jen Siudak said.
There was a push to open quickly since the restaurant is known for its Friday fish fry, Siudak said. The restaurant serves about 800 pounds of fish for their Friday fish fry and with the fish ready, it would have been a loss. With every day it’s closed, it’s a loss.
Repairs started Thursday morning and went into Friday to get everything ready. First Priority DKI helped to restore the restaurant.
Siudak and her husband, Mike Siudak, are working on opening a coffee and ice cream shop, Rusty Malts. With the setback of the fire, it is unknown when the shop will be opening, but Siudak said they are hoping it will be within a month.
“[It’s] another little thing to bring to the village,” Siudak said. “Malts” is an acronym of the children’s names; Michael, Alec, Liv and Ty Siudak.
The ice cream shop will be in the same parking lot at the Rusty Nail. For more information on Rusty Malts, visit them on Facebook.