If spring planting time includes a new tree for your yard, whether it’s fruit, ornamental, shade or other type, it’s important to know proper planting rules to ensure your investment grows strong and beautiful to serve you for many years to come.
Countryside Flower Shop, Nursery and Garden Center, in Crystal Lake, offers the following planting guidelines:
- Dig your planting hole 1.5 to 2 times the width of the root ball.
- Dig the hole the depth of the root ball. IMPORTANT! Do not dig it deeper.
- If balled or burlapped, find the side that provides the best view. Gently roll it into the hole with that side facing forward. Cut the twine and fold the burlap down. If the root ball has wire, remove the top wire across the top of the root ball. The rest of the burlap and wire cage do not need to be removed.
- Fill the hole half full with a soil mix consistent with your soil texture, tamping it lightly to ensure that there are no air pockets. If you have a clay type soil, mix two-thirds of your existing soil with one-third mushroom compost.
- If you have sandy type soil, mix one-half of your existing soil with one-half peat.
- Soak the root ball thoroughly.
- Fill the rest of the hole with the soil mix.
- Soak the plant thoroughly once again.
- Prune any broken or damaged branches.
- Mulch generously with 2 inches to 3 inches of shredded bark.
- Use a starter fertilizer such as Bonide Plant Starter per label instructions. Repeat again after two weeks. This fertilizer has a high phosphorus analysis and a root-stimulating agent, which encourages root development.
Countryside’s trees are guaranteed to grow for one year and come with a 100 percent one-time replacement guarantee. Countryside’s horticultural staff of Illinois certified nursery professionals are happy to answer any questions you may have regarding your new tree purchase.
Countryside Flower Shop, Nursery & Garden Center : 5301 E. Terra Cotta Ave (Rte 176), Crystal Lake, IL : 815.459.8130 : www.countrysideflowershop.com